Thursday, July 14, 2011

// // Leave a Comment

Why You Never Give Babies Honey

Perhaps you've heard that you shouldn't give babies honey.  Do you know why? 

The spores the cause infant botulism often find their way into honey.  Adults and children over 12 months have a mature enough digestive system that those spores will not find anywhere to grow.  Infants under 12 months, however, can develop infant botulism.

Infant botulism can cause a fever, diarrhea, and vomiting.  It can even be fatal.  Symptoms will appear within about 36 hours of ingesting honey. 

Not all honey has botulism spores.  Unfortunately, there is no test you can do at home to find out if your honey is safe.  The only precaution you can take is to not give infants honey. 

0 comments: