2 cups salt
4 cups flour
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons oil
3. Knead dough with your hands.
4. Divide dough into 6 balls.
5. Add about 8 drops of food coloring to each ball. Point out the colors and especially the results of mixing two colors. Knead the food coloring into each ball. Wash your hands between each color!
This dough will last longer if stored in an airtight container. If you want your creations to air dry, leave them on the counter for about two days.
Tips for Using Play Dough With Preschoolers and Toddlers
- Talk about what you are making.
- Pretend play. Make food and "eat" it. Make animals who go on an adventure.
- Use the color names frequently. "I'm going to use some red for the cupcake and some blue for sprinkles..."
- Don't worry if they mix the colors together!
- Use the play dough to make and talk about shapes, patterns, and simple addition/subtraction.