Tuesday, September 25, 2012

// // 2 comments

This Week's Favorite Book: Higher! Higher!




Our favorite book this week is hands down Higher! Higher! by Leslie Patricelli.  The story line is fun and simple, and the illustrations are (literally) out of this world!  My daughter fell in love with it before I even read it to her.  After I read it to her, she could "read" it by herself...and she did.  She read it to her brother, her dad, and her friends.  Then she read it to me.  The next day, she sang, "Story time is coming up..." while she set up chairs to read it to her preschool and toddler friends.  They all loved it.  As soon as she set it down, my 2-year old picked it up and read it too.

Besides the fact that it was instantly popular (with 1-5 year olds), there are so many other things I love about this book.  The simple text makes it fabulous for reading practice and for short toddler attention spans.  The creative illustrations/story line spark imagination and pretend play.  Extension activities are limitless.  We've already had several science discussions with it.  And, it's in Spanish too!  Every page has English text in black and Spanish text in red.  In all cases but one, the red text is a Spanish translation of the black English text.  In the one exception ("High Five" and "Amigos"), the spirit of the text is still the same.

I can't say enough good things about this book, especially if you have preschoolers and toddlers.  What are you reading this week?  Have you found any new favorites?





I may share at any of these parties!

2 comments:

Keitha said...

We will have to look for that book. My son, who is a reluctant reader, brought home Hi! Fly Guy from school this week. He read the entire book out loud without any prompting. Usually I have to ASK him to read. We ordered the first three books in the series. http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fly-Guy-Tedd-Arnold/dp/0439639034

He also really like Wodney Wat's Wobot. We turned that one into a story themed lunch this week.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Keitha, I'll have to check that out...I **love** high interest books!