My preschoolers love experimenting with reactions, and the classic Diet Coke and Mentos reaction is so popular it's been requested and repeated more than once!
The INGREDIENTS are simple:
- Diet Coke (you will want several bottles!)
- Mint-flavored Mentos (at least two rolls!)
- Other mix-ins (rock salt, nails, and other candy are interesting ones, but let your child choose what she wants to experiment with!)
The HOW TO is fun:
1. Plan how you will put 5 Mentos into a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke at the same time. I've used a roll of paper, but prefer to thread them onto a string with a needle. It doesn't take long to thread, and is so much more effective.
2. Drop 5 mint-flavored Mentos into a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke at the same time. Step back fast!
3. Oooh and aaah!! Note: the reaction only lasts 5-6 seconds, and the kids usually want to do it again...and soon!
I'll be sharing this post at some of these linky parties!