This month's theme for Poppins Book Nook is When I Grow Up. Before I give you preschool activity ideas for it, I want to introduce you to my absolute favorite book about dreaming about growing up: When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic!
(Amazon affiliate link below:)
What I love most about this book is that it makes the future seem entirely in the hands of the child. It encourages kids to dream big and do what they love. And that is a message that I think kids everywhere (even grown up kids!) can use sometimes!
One of my other favorite things to do with preschoolers is to act out or dramatize...anything! A growing up theme is especially fun! It gives children a chance to imagine something and then create and become the precise thing they have imagined in just a matter of moments. It is wonderful for developing confidence, creativity, and even problem solving!
So, here are 10 Dramatizing Activities for When I Grow Up!:
1. Place a bin with props in the middle of the room and encourage everyone to dress up as whatever they want to be when they grow up.
2. Read When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic and take turns dressing up like all the things talked about in the story.
3. Take turns dressing up like what you want to be when you grow up and let everyone guess what each child is.
4. Work in partners to create short (1-2 minute) plays featuring what each child wants to be when they grow up.
5. Improv stories as a group featuring characters the children want to be when they grow up.
6. Let the children guess what "job" you (the adult) dramatize. Be sure to include less common things like a volcanologist or an inventory specialist at a tire shop! :)
7. Put on a parade with each child acting and/or dressed as what they want to be when they grow up.
8. Play "What do you want to do today?" by having the children assume the role of what they want to be when they grow up. Ask each child "What do you want to do today?" and have them answer as they would if they were their character. Continue to ask other questions that they answer in character.
9. Play "Hop Like a Fireman!" by having the children line up on one side of the room and hopping like a fireman across the room. Have them hop, skip, jump, roll, or move in other ways like each job they would like to do when they grow up. For example, hop like a fireman, then skip like a nurse, then jump like a marine biologist, etc.
10. Ask your children what they want to do while they are dressed up for the day!
This post is part of the Poppins Book Nook! Be sure to check out other fabulous ideas on the When I Grow Up theme from these bloggers:
Enchanted Homeschooling Mom ~ 3 Dinosaurs ~ To the Moon and Back ~ Planet Smarty Pants ~ Farm Fresh Adventures ~ Growing in God's Grace ~ Chestnut Grove Academy ~ Learning and Growing the Piwi Way ~ The Usual Mayhem~ Preschool Powol Packets ~ Monsters Ed Homeschool Academy ~ Adventures in Mommydom ~ Teach Beside Me ~ Life with Moore Babies ~ Kathy's Cluttered Mind ~ Are We There Yet? ~ Our Crafts N Things ~ Hopkins Homeschool ~ ABC Creative Learning ~ Joy Focused Learning ~ P is for Preschooler ~ Laugh and Learn ~ A Mommy's Adventures ~ Inspiring 2 New Hampshire Children ~ World for Learning ~ Ever After in the Woods ~ Golden Grasses ~ A glimpse of our life ~ Journey to Excellence ~ Happy Little Homemaker ~ Little Homeschool Blessings ~ Raventhreads ~ Tots and Me ~ As We Walk Along The Road ~ Stir the Wonder ~ For This Season ~ Where Imagination Grows ~ Lextin Academy ~ The Canadian Homeschooler ~ School Time Snippets ~ Peakle Pie ~ A Moment in our World ~ Every Bed of Roses ~ Finchnwren ~ At Home Where Life Happens ~ The Library Adventure ~ Embracing Destiny ~ Day by Day in our World ~ Our Homeschool Studio ~ A "Peace" of Mind ~ Thou Shall Not Whine ~ SAHM I am ~ eLeMeNo-P Kids ~ Simple Living Mama
Also, if you want to share a post that links to this theme, we would love to see it! Please link up here:
And be sure to enter the BIG Giveaway and check out next month's Poppins Book Nook theme at Enchanted Homeschooling Mom!
I may share at any of these parties!