Friday, July 19, 2013

// // 4 comments

Summer Fun for Preschoolers: Sensory Fun!!

Today I am happy to welcome Erin from Royal Baloo with a fabulous new way to create sensory materials--you could even use it to make DIY Braille Cards!!



This is the seventh week in the Summer Fun For Preschoolers series! Each Friday this summer I'm sharing a guest post with wonderful ideas of ways to intentionally spend time with your young children!  Click here for a list of all the weeks, and check out the contributors in the left hand sidebar!


IMG_1544

I’m always looking for ways to explore numbers, letters, shapes etc with sensory materials, but sensory materials can be very expensive.  Do-it-yourself materials, on the other hand, don’t have to be!
For this project we reused some cardboard from a box.  I cut it into small square/rectangle pieces.

IMG_1541

Then I used a glue gun to make letters, numbers (with dots), shapes, squiggly lines, and names.

IMG_1542

I gave them a few hours to dry, just to make sure, and then we started exploring.  We started with the numbers.  First we traced the number with our fingers…

IMG_1544

And then counting the dots next to it.

IMG_1546

Then we used a crayon (for rubbings I use the thick triangular crayons) and made a rubbing.

IMG_1557

My 4 year old (lovingly called Royal online) also really enjoyed rubbing his name, and his brothers names!

IMG_1547

We used one sheet to make a collage of rubbings.  He loved trying to fit as many rubbings in on one page as he possibly could.

IMG_1551

Thank you Carla for letting me guest post!!

To see the other posts in our Summer Fun for Preschoolers series, click HERE and be sure to check out the contributors in the left sidebar!

Erin is a homeschooling mom to 3 wild boys.  In her "spare" time she enjoys blogging about their homeschooling adventures, knitting, and creating free printables to share.  You can find her at RoyalBaloo.com, or on FacebookPinterest, or Google+.




 Loading InLinkz ...





I may share at any of these parties!

4 comments:

HannahW said...

I really, really like this idea and ALL the things you could do with it! Please come share it with us next week at Eco-Kids Tuesday link-up! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/search/label/Eco-Kids%20Tuesday

Unknown said...

I've made boards just like this to use for crayon rubbings, but I never thought to use it as a sensory material, too. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

My Teacher's Name is Mama said...

This is a great idea! I love simple learning tools! Thanks for sharing!!