Thursday, February 23, 2012

// // 7 comments

Science Experiment: Physics Fun for Preschoolers


I knew my preschoolers would love this science experiment...I didn't know my 20-month old would love it too! The Penny Playground science project teaches young children about balance and levers in a Montessori-style experiment.


You will need these supplies:
  • 5 pennies
  • 1 nickel
  • any other coins you want 
  • 12-inch ruler
  • small block or other fulcrum



The easy how-to:

Show your child how to set up the see-saw with the ruler and the block for this science experiment.  Challenge her to find out how many pennies it takes to balance a nickel.  Ask her to make a hypothesis--a guess she can test about what the right answer is!  Make sure you place the coins at the ends of the ruler.  Once she has figured out the challenge, let her experiment and answer her own questions with this science project...she will have plenty!

This science experiment comes from the packet 5 Science Experiments With Pennies for Young Children, available at Teachers Notebook




Pin It

7 comments:

Helen Handley said...

Tis is just what we need today on our snow day. Thanks for sharing! Just popping by from livinglifeintentionally.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Hi Helen! I'm so glad you can use it! Thanks for stopping by!

DeliveringGrace said...

Must try this with my younger children. Suspect that in the UK, a 5pence piece will not equal 5x1 penny coins.

Karenda said...

What a fun simple science experiment. My girls and I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

lol, SarahElisabeth! Actually, the US nickel will balance with two pennies!

Thanks, Karenda! Have fun!

Kristina said...

Somehow our science experiments are always a flop, but this looks easy enough! And fun, too!

Meaningful Mama said...

I love easy things that would keep my kids intrigued for a while. Thanks for the ideas.