Monday, April 30, 2012

// // 11 comments

Tile Prints (Preschool Craft)




We had so much fun making tile prints that I think I should warn you:  you will enjoy the activity at least as much as your preschooler will!  You can make the prints as an artwork or let your child sign and date it and give it away as a Mother's Day present--the possibilities are endless!

We recently replaced our bathroom floor with tiles and had quite a few leftover tiles.  Tiles are wonderful to use with young children because they wipe off so easily and are relatively inexpensive--if you didn't just replace your floor you can purchase laminate tiles from a hardware store for under $1 each.  Keep them when you're done with this craft--there's more to come!

Simple Supplies for Tile Prints:
  • a tile for each child (and adult!)
  • paints and paintbrushes
  • print paper (white computer paper, watercolor paper, etc.)



The Easy How-To:

1- Paint the tile.  Let your child enjoy this process!  The tile is a unique texture and can be painted on with paintbrushes or fingers.  If you use any letters remember that the prints will come out in reverse.




2- Carefully press your print paper onto the painting.  Some children may need help making sure they don't slide their paper around.


3- Peel the artwork off the tile!  My kids loved each step, but this part was truly thrilling.  Everyone wanted to do it again!

When you're done, you can clean the tiles with a wet paper towel.

I did this with 1-5 year-old children, and they all loved it.  The 5-year old spent the most time and made the most pictures, but each child enjoyed it and was proud of their final products.  If you make some, I'd love to see what you did!


Have a wonderful week, and be sure to join us tomorrow for Teach Me Tuesday!




I may share at any of these parties!

11 comments:

Rachel Kaylynn said...

We have a couple extra tiles in our garage, I'll have to try this soon.

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Rachel, It's such a fun way to use them! I'm so happy with how they turned out!

katepickle said...

going to save the left over tiles after our renovation for this.. thanks for a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I will have to find some tiles to try this on with the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I will have to find some tiles to try this on with the kiddos!

Lauren said...

This is great! Bug would love this project. Thanks for sharing at A Pinteresting Party!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

This activity looks like a lot of fun! I am pinning it for reference. Megan

Unknown said...

Looks like you had lots of fun! Thanks for sharing with us at tip toe thru tuesday!

Crystal Underwood said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing with Tuesday Tots. I have pinned this so that I may do it with my tot :)

Carrie said...

How fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Katepickle, Our leftover tiles have been such a treat!

Andthatsfamily, You can buy them at any hardware store for under a dollar!

Tutus, I bet Bug would love it--my daughter spent over making different prints! Thanks for hosting!

Thanks for pinning, Megan!

Kimberly, Thanks for hosting Tip Toe Tuesday!!

Growing a Jeweled Rose, Thanks for hosting Tuesday Tots and for pinning it!

Carrie, Thanks for hosting Sharing Saturday! Have a great weekend!