Friday, June 21, 2013

// // 6 comments

Summer Fun for Preschoolers: Chalk Color Wheel

Today I am happy to welcome Cassie from 3 Dinosaurs with an outdoor art project that doubles as a science experiment!



This is the third week in the Summer Fun For Preschoolers series! Each Friday for the rest of the summer I will share a guest post with wonderful ideas of ways to intentionally spend time with your young children!  Click here for a list of all the weeks, and check out the contributors in the left hand sidebar!




Chalk is one of our favorite summer activities. The girls will ask to do it a lot. I always try to do some learning when we do chalk. It does not always happen but when I can make it happen it goes great! It is also one of the easy activities you can do almost anywhere! Here is one of our fun Chalk activities.

What you need: white, blue, yellow & red chalk.

Draw 6 circles on the ground. (My first try at this I had one to many circles. The girls kept counting different numbers as I was drawing them.) 



Place the chalk where the starting colors should be. They rub the chalk all over the circles.



When they finished it looked like this. The chalk circles are very powdery.



They each picked a new circle and put hand prints from their starting color in the new circle.




After they filled up their new circle with hand prints they went to the circle on the left of their starting circle and put their hand prints there.




After they had mixed it really good we saw the new colors we had created.



When we were all done the color wheel was turned into a flower.






If you are looking for more fun Chalk activities check out:

Rainbow Chalk Hand Print

Multiple Level Learning Hopscotch

Fall Chalk Art

Cassie - 3 Dinosaurs.com

Cassie is a mom of three stomping, romping, and roaring girls. She blogs about fun art and craft activities and printables she makes. She includes the odd review of products every now and then. She also blogs about the places that she has taken the girls called trip reviews. She has a few free printable pack for kids ages 2 to 8 and is always adding more. She loves to get comments and feedback and is always looking for new things to try or do with her girls. 





 Loading InLinkz ...




I may share at any of these parties!

6 comments:

Deceptively Educational said...

I love the chalk color wheel. SO smart!!! I'd love it if you'd share this at the After School Linky Party on my blog each Monday! Thanks!

Lauren said...

I love this! Totally doing it today. Thanks for linking up to our Pinteresting Party. I'll be giving you a shout out this week. :)

Have you liked up to the Virtual Summer Camp yet? http://bit.ly/12jciXx

Plumeriatmc said...

Looks like so much fun, my daughter loves chalk and I can see this being a hit!

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

Thanks for the invite, Deceptively Educational!

Lauren, I'm so glad you can use it! I'll definitely come by the summer camp!

Thanks, Tara! I hope you guys love it!

Jessica said...

I love this idea! The only thing my daughter loves more than drawing with chalk is rubbing her hands in it. I'm sure this would be a hit! Pinned.

Unknown said...

Great idea - pinned! Hopping over from We Made That linky party.