Monday, November 30, 2015

// // 1 comment

Holiday Dishes from Around the World to try with Kids!

In a perfect world I would take my kids to a different country every year so they could experience traditional holiday meals first hand.  In real life, though, that isn't an option!  Instead, I've got the next best thing:


I've collected this set of holiday dishes from around the world that I want to try with my kiddos!  We may not get to them all this year, but these five sound like so much fun that we might just keep working on the list next month!

First, Risgot, a Norwegian rice porridge (bottom left in picture).  We love to try new Norwegian foods because we have a lot of Norwegian ancestors.  I'd like to try substituting honey for the sugar in this recipe too!

Second, Bibingka, a cake from the Philippines.  This looks absolutely amazing, and I am so curious about how putting cheese in it affects the flavor!!

Third, Pavo Trufado de Navidad, a dish from Spain (top in the picture).  Turkey, mushrooms, and more...I can't wait to try this!  The website is in Spanish, but Google should translate it for you.

Fourth, Panettone, a bread from Italy (bottom right in picture). Other countries serve this sweet bread at Christmas time too, and if you don't feel like making it, a TON of bakeries sell it!

And finally, lefse, another Scandinavian treat!  We've made this one for years, but I had to include it in a list of international holiday dishes for you!

Also, I came across two other collections that you will want to browse through...they have loads of other great recipes, links, and festive food traditions from around the world!  Here is a collection on Buzz and here is a collection from the Smithsonian!

You may want to check out this book too!  It has LOADS of Christmas traditions (with food and without!) from around the world:




This month the Poppins Book Nook theme is Feasts Around the World!  Be sure to check out these other blogs for more feasting ideas:









I may share at any of these parties!



Never miss another post again!  Sign up for our weekly updates newsletter and get links to all our posts once a week in your inbox!  Sign up here!!





1 comments:

Mama Of Many Blessings said...

I love this list of food from around the world. I have been on the look out for ideas to teach my kiddos about Christmas from around the world. We will be going to a local venue that has over 40 Christmas trees decorated from countries around the world. I have been looking for ways to teach them about the different cultures of some of the trees we will see there these recipes will be fun to add in. Have a blessed week!!

Nicole