Thursday, August 30, 2018

// // Leave a Comment

Space-Themed Tape Resist Name Art

Let's be honest...I thought solar system-themed name art would be cool, but most of my kids decided to decorate their name art how they wanted. And I support that. I still pulled out the sparkly star stickers! But since "Solar System - Minecraft - Cupcake - Mixed Media Tape Resist Name Art" is a bit wordy, I decided to just call it my idea, and let the pictures fill you in on what everyone else did!



Tape resist art is a childhood classic, and we were inspired to do it this week when the Virtual Book Club for Kids shared this Toddler Name Art project from Learn With Play at Home. I thought it would be fun to frame it with construction paper and add stars to make a space or solar system themed name! Of course, half the kids went along with that idea, and the other half decided to decorate their own way. Exploring art the way you choose is super important to me, so I let them go with whatever they wanted to decorate!

Solar System Tape Resist Name Art


Simple Supplies:


* art paper (I used paper made for watercolors so that it was a little bit thicker and stronger than just copy paper...this came in handy when we were removing the tape!)

* painter's tape
* paint sticks (I have so much to say about this! I'll do it just below!) or any other kind of paint
* construction paper (I used black for the night sky, but you can use any color your kids want!)
* star stickers
* glue

Note on paint sticks: Craft Project Ideas sent us these paint sticks (picture below) to try out, and I think they are seriously the coolest things ever invented! The kids hold them like glue sticks, but they roll onto the paper thick and wet (like paint). And then they dry in a minute or two! They have super bright colors that my kids love! Some of the kids put it on really thick and it took about 10 minutes to dry. It didn't splash anywhere! It was the tidiest paint project we've ever done. And Craft Project Ideas didn't even ask me to tell you this! I am just beyond in love with them and think anyone who works with preschoolers will love them too! Anyway, on to the art project!




Easy How To:

1- (A Little Preparation:) Spell your kids' names with painter's tape on the art paper. My tape was wider than I wanted, so I tore it down to size.


2- Let your kids paint all over it! About half my kids painted a specific pattern, design, or image, and the other half just went wild with the paint. Or maybe they were painting a specific design and I just didn't realize... ;)


This is great fine motor exercise!



3- After the paint dries, carefully remove the painter's tape. I LOVE this part!! It looks so cool to see their names appear in white!!



4- Glue the name art down on a piece of black construction paper. Add star stickers to the frame.



Of course, your kids can vary #4 however they want! I had one child want to use cupcake stickers, another want to build a golden foam frame, and another who wanted to use all sorts of different media to decorate. 


I try to be flexible with these sorts of demands ideas because they are evidence of the kids' own creativity, problem solving, and self expression. Also, they always turn out really cool! (And stickers are amazing fine motor exercises!)

Here are our finished pieces:


My cute little 2-year old (who thinks she's 5) found a sticker sheet with cupcakes and was certain that this project needed some on it!

Harry's paint is inspired by a Minecraft game!

And the last one is not actually missing a name! One kiddo finished early and wanted to make "another art project" using the same supplies...but since she had already made her name, she didn't want to repeat that aspect!

Anyway, if you're looking for an art project or a name project, be sure to use this one...it's definitely a winner! And I'm glad the ladies at the Virtual Book Club included it in their suggestions!

Happy Educating,
Carla


Have you seen HEEP? It is a preschool homeschool curriculum! Learn more here!



I may share at any of these parties!




Never miss another post again!  Sign up for our weekly updates newsletter and get links to all our posts once a week in your inbox!  Sign up here!!




0 comments: