Wednesday, February 19, 2014

// // Leave a Comment

Preschool Math With Valentine Candy

We gathered up all our Valentine Candy yesterday and had a great time doing simple preschool math with it!  


I feel like we somehow collected even more candy this year for Valentines than we did at Halloween time!  Putting it to good use (as math preschool manipulatives!) made me feel a little bit better about all the sugar in our house!

You could use candy for these activities at any time of the year, but there are only a few times when we have so much at our fingertips!

Here are the preschool math projects we did:


#1.  Graphing.  I drew a graph on a sheet of computer paper, let each child grab a handful of kisses, and then graph which colors they managed to pull out of the bowl.  This was inspired by Fantastic Fun and Learning's graphing activity!




#2:  Patterns.  I put all the kisses in the middle of our kiddos and let each child create a pattern on the back of their graphing page.  The kids made ABAB patterns, AABB patterns, and I made ABB patterns and let them take turns filling in the next color.



#3:  Adding/Subtracting.  I gave the kids a verbal math equation and let them model it with candy and give me the answer.  Then I let them give me math problems!



#4:  Shapes.  The children chose a shape to create with candy!



#5:  Designs!  This is where the preschoolers arranged the candy in whatever cool designs they wanted!



And, of course, I let them all choose a piece of candy to eat when we were done!

What do you do with candy after holidays like Valentines?



I may share at any of these parties!

0 comments: